There is joy in being a pastor's kid. I say that without sarcasm. To be sure, there are disadvantages, but there is also an upside.
I became a pastor's kid later than average - I was 15 when my dad took his first church - so I really didn't have the experience of growing up in a fish bowl as many other PKs do. My dad also put me (and I speak in terms of "me" rather than "we" or "us" because my siblings were both out of the house by the time Dad went into ministry) first, before church or conference responsibilities. I very clearly remember him looking me in the eye and saying, "if you don't want to do this, we won't" when our family was in the decision-making process of taking that first church. It meant moving to a different province and I desperately didn't want that. If I had been a more selfish teenager, we would have stayed where we were. The knowledge, though, that I was more important than the church was important.
We've also been blessed with churches that haven't placed many demands on me as the pastor's daughter. I didn't feel judged or watched or held to a different standard. This was good because I had made it pretty clear that they wouldn't get much out of me.
There is, however, a certain level of celebrity when you're a pastor's kid and it gets worse when you're a grown-up pastor's kid. People are somewhat fascinated by us at my parent's newest church; they know details about us, but don't really know us.
The upside of this is that people know who I am there. Now that I am new in town and looking to make connections, it's been nice to walk into that church and have people talk to me. I can walk into and back out of other churches without anyone saying a word to me. So it's nice to walk into a church where people make an effort to make me feel welcome. It's nice to be known.
All that said, though, I miss my friends and my home church deeply - today more than any other I think...

2 comments:
Yup...I definitely resonate with this post. I actually find myself on the other end of the spectrum where, for the first time in almost 20 years, I am no longer a pastor's kid. Since my mom resigned I can no longer introduce myself to people at church as "Randy or Darlene's daughter". Well...I guess I could, but it wouldn't mean much anymore. There is much to be said for the openness of churches to embrace their staff and families.
Was just blog surfing and your blog popped up. My hubby is a pk and a wonderful man, my kids are now enduring the same thing. It's a joy, especially in a church that does not judge or have crazy standards. Thanks for sharing your heart! ~Jackie
Post a Comment