Alas, I have made my grand return to the blogging world! I know how much you all missed me and here I am. You can now be happy again.
My sabbatical was not planned, nor self-imposed but rather forced. I don't know how many of you have moved recently, but I have discovered that it is a lot of work. A LOT OF FREAKIN' WORK! I'm not talking about moving into a dorm room or moving out of your parent's basement and into your first apartment. I'm talking you and your roommates finding a totally different apartment to live in, one getting married and moving out of province, all three trying to remember exactly which kitchen utensils they contributed to the whole mess and trying to clean everything on a huge list the landlords handed you two days before you moved. I'm talking a "serious, pack up an entire house, moving like a real adult" kind of move. Simply put, it's a stressful endeavour. Never to be done again. At least not till I get married and can just pack up my stuff and leave without cleaning anything! (sound like anyone we know??)
Anyways, the move is over, but the settling is not quite done. After a week without a phone and numerous frustrating conversations with a very stupid phone company who wish to remain anonymous, we are now re-connected to the outside world...through a different phone company, who, by the way, are giving us our first 2 months FREE! FREE is a great word for all students. FREE is an especially great word for Mennonite students.
Our internet is also reconnected, but my wireless card and/or our router are not thinking on the same page currently, so my computer does not work. Frustrating, but liveable for the time being. But I am taking advantage of my roommate being away and updating you all on my exciting exciting life (thanks, Alicia).
We also have cable again. Lots of cable. Lots more cable than before. Even though we didn't change our service. We are not complaining. We like TLC. And TBS. And TVTropolis. It plays Beverly Hills 90210 ALL THE TIME AND WE ARE HAPPY.
Just this evening I was taking advantage of our plethora of cable and watching a documentary on conjoined twins, (nerd alert I know, but remember, I would still like to be a doctor one day) and I found it really moving. There was a story of a woman who was born a conjoined twin and lost her sister during the surgery that seperated them. The intense emotional bond that she still shared with her sister, although she did not physically remember her was deeply touching. I couldn't help but be jealous that I can't experience such a bond. Not that I would want to have been a conjoined twin, don't get me wrong. There was another story about 4 year old conjoined twins who were seperated last month and are now adjusting to life as total individuals. It showed how during their recovery they were very quiet and not totally lilke themselves until their request to share a bed was granted and they could be close again. It also highlighted the fact that these two tiny girls had captured the hearts of the country and people who were complete strangers were sending them gifts and well wishes. One lady, a complete stranger, sent the girls two beautiful princess costumes. It brought me to tears (I am becoming more and more like my mother, I know, and I'm also, surprisingly, becoming more and more okay with that fact). Anyways, the realization that there are still people with goodness in their hearts lifted me. For the past few weeks my heart has been very very heavy with the depravity of our world today and the evilness that is poured out every single day. I just finished reading "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini, which is a very honest look (a fictional story though) into life in Afghanistan and the horror that has happened there in the past decades.
I think my real concern for the world situation began with the threat of North Korea's missile program. It struck me then how much of a competition there is to be the most powerful in this world and it makes me so so sad. And terrified. The fact that there are men and women out there so fixated on being on top that they are willing to sacrifice millions of lives to reach a worthless goal is a sickening thought. The problem is that I don't know what I can do. How can I help? Does anyone have any solutions? My heart is so heavy.
Friday, September 08, 2006
Angels Brought Me Here
Posted by Dana at 9:11 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Yo Daners
As the roommate that moved with you, I feel, hear, and live with your pain. I apologize if I did not go into panic mode to such an extent. It was probably good that one of us was level headed... expecially after the traumatic news from Lorien on tuesday, you know what I mean.
At least we are now almost box free, and things are started to flow nicely.
As for the other part, I've got nothing. Unfortunately starting big is just not possible. Maybe you can start by straightening out people in our own neighbourhood... or those just across Pembina. I think anyone in the frame of mind to hurt someone in any way, physically, spiritually or emotionally needs an attitude adjustment... STAT.
props to you for the STAT usage. That's throwback to the good old days when we were relatively care-free. Double props.
Post a Comment