I do have an update regarding my previous post, but I'm preaching this Sunday and my follow-up is closely realted to what I will say in my sermon, so I'm going to hold off a few days until after I've preached it. That way those of you from here who read my blog can hear the sermon first. Call me anal. I don't care.
In other news, I went for my first run tonight in a long while. I have known that I need to get my arse off the couch, but knowing is different than doing. I lost 15 pounds in the first four months of this year. Some of it was the result of hard work at the gym, which was also driven by my post-breakup brush with anorexia (yes, I admit it, to those of you who suspected it, I'm sorry for lying, thanks for worrying about me). Don't worry, I was never truly committed to being anorexic, but I did flirt with the idea. And honestly, I just wasn't hungry and was actually mostly nauseous all day every day. Food really held no appeal. So I dropped 15 pounds. However I did it, it still happened.
And I felt great. I felt pretty. I felt hopeful.
Then I first injured my back and then sprained my ankle and my trips to the gym stopped very suddenly. Also, as my heart finally healed, I was no longer constantly nauseous (thank the Lord). Combine that with a trip to see my Grandma in Alberta where I had plenty of wonderful Mennonite meals and my stomach size has stretched right back out.
I feel yucky. I feel heavy. I feel discouraged.
I know that exercise makes me feel good about myself. I know to be healthy I need to drop a few more pounds, especially with the family genes I have inherited. But sometimes it's just so hard to get off the couch. And it's hard to say no to the second bowl of ice cream. But I must. For me, I must.
In other news, Happy Birthday to my adorable nephew Caleb, who is 2 today.
In other news, I went for my first run tonight in a long while. I have known that I need to get my arse off the couch, but knowing is different than doing. I lost 15 pounds in the first four months of this year. Some of it was the result of hard work at the gym, which was also driven by my post-breakup brush with anorexia (yes, I admit it, to those of you who suspected it, I'm sorry for lying, thanks for worrying about me). Don't worry, I was never truly committed to being anorexic, but I did flirt with the idea. And honestly, I just wasn't hungry and was actually mostly nauseous all day every day. Food really held no appeal. So I dropped 15 pounds. However I did it, it still happened.
And I felt great. I felt pretty. I felt hopeful.
Then I first injured my back and then sprained my ankle and my trips to the gym stopped very suddenly. Also, as my heart finally healed, I was no longer constantly nauseous (thank the Lord). Combine that with a trip to see my Grandma in Alberta where I had plenty of wonderful Mennonite meals and my stomach size has stretched right back out.
I feel yucky. I feel heavy. I feel discouraged.
I know that exercise makes me feel good about myself. I know to be healthy I need to drop a few more pounds, especially with the family genes I have inherited. But sometimes it's just so hard to get off the couch. And it's hard to say no to the second bowl of ice cream. But I must. For me, I must.
In other news, Happy Birthday to my adorable nephew Caleb, who is 2 today.



3 comments:
The difficulty is and will always be finding that balance between needs and wants. Does one need the second bowl of ice cream, or even the first for that matter? Probably not, but once the body lays eyes on it there is little one can do to prevent that tasty ice cream from hitting the tongue. Ask any nutritionist and they will tell you that one can consume such foods from time to time, even in excess, as long as one recognizes that one will need to spend some extra time on the track/treadmill as a consequence. Ask that same nutritionist a question about what the body needs to function well day after day, and they will certainly tell you to consume a balanced set of healthy meals with enough calories to support your ideal weight. The most important thing that nutritionist will tell you is that before the body can change, the mind must change and therein lies the true issue. The mind must come to terms with the fact that time must be set aside to exercise routinely, the mind must accept that one must focus on consuming proper meals and finally, the mind must always be at peace with how one appears but recognizes and accepts that changes should and will be made in order to ensure a healthy and lengthy life. Change the mind and the body will follow.
--we will always be so much more human then we wish to be--
Thanks for the comment...who is it from???
Dana...where's the rest of our update??!! :)
Post a Comment